Tim Soulo recently tweeted some of his learnings from a quick link building outreach experiment.
Let’s talk about “Link Building Outreach.”
I recently tried to acquire some links to one of my blog posts..
So I reviewed ~200 link prospects (collected by a contractor) and sent ~90 emails.
…and it was quite a learning experience to be honest.Tim Soulo
This got him 13 backlinks, which is quite good.
- content quality didn’t matter much (the same amount of people would probably have linked to him if his content was of lower quality)
- AHREFs brand helped him a lot
- people want something in exchange for fulfilling a link request
- outreach template didn’t matter much, main reason for people fulfilling your request is they’re already open to review it
- follow-ups work
- he gave pitchbox a shoutout – an infuencer outreach and content marketing platform
- prioritize fresh/recent content in your outreach (use AHREFs content explorer, filter by content published in last 30 days, DR: 50+
Another way to get recent content is to look for recent links to your competitors from ahrefs: